Re: [Harp-L] Which position for jazz songs

Sounds like third position. Early in the tune, notice the notes that go up and down by a semitone from the 5th of the scale - all three are bends n Draw 3. Notice the three-note I minor chord, possibly only in third position. Later, all that low-range stuff is bends in Holes 2 and 3. As I listen, I hear continuing confirmation of third.

To help identify a position by ear listen for:

-- Chords and two-note harmonies. Which ones are possible in which position(s)?

-- Natural notes and the scale degrees on which they occur.

-- Bent notes and the scale scale degrees on which they occur. Also the part of the harmonica where they are played - low, middle, high.

-- The overall character of the scale (minor? major? qualities of individual scale degrees?) - what position delivers that scale most easily?

-- Melodic patterns played - again, what position(s) most easily deliver those patterns?

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School